My Top 10 Movies

Monday, August 14, 2017


I know this blog makes it obvious that I love books, but what might be less obvious is that I also love movies. I grew up in a family of movie fiends, with parents who had a mission to introduce me to all of the best classics that were out there. 80s movies are my jam, even as a 90s baby, I'm currently trying to watch all of the "best movies of all time," and I will always love a good thriller, action comedy, or rom com. 

10. Bridesmaids
Why it made the list: In my opinion, it's the best comedy of the past 10 years or so, probably because it was written by and stars mainly women. This is 100% the go-to movie for any friend gathering I've ever had. It's funny as hell every single time.

9. Speed
Why it made the list: Though this movie is supremely unrealistic at times, it's also supremely entertaining. The action and suspense just literally never stops. Plus, young Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock are fine as hell, and her character has the same name as me.
8. The Usual Suspects
Why it made the list: This has one of the best classic twist endings of all time. Blew me away, and continues to on every re-watch. The acting and story line in this movie is just fantastic.

7. Home Alone
Why it made the list: This is a lifelong classic and tradition for me. From the beginning of my childhood, every Thanksgiving was spent at my grandparent's house watching this movie with my cousins. It's so funny and pure and nostalgic. I love this movie endlessly.

6. The Shawshank Redemption
Why it made the list: This is a favorite for many, and it's not hard to see why. It's an amazing, dark, impactful, brilliantly-acted, award-winning movie for a reason. 



5. Pride and Prejudice
Why it made the list: I fell in love with this movie within the first 15 minutes. The cinematography, costumes, and scenery are absolutely stunning. Plus, Kiera Knightley as one of the best literary heroines of all time works so well. This is one of my favorite books of all time as well. 



4. In Your Eyes
Why it made the list: The most underrated movie on this list for sure. It's original, creative, and somehow just completely captivated the romantic in me the entire time. And no matter what my roommates say, the end is perfect.
3. Baby Driver
Why it made the list: This is the most recent addition to my list, but it was an instant favorite. If you need to understand why, just watch it. This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it was almost the perfect movie for me. Excellent cast, incredible soundtrack and cinematography, gripping plot, dark humor. It is fantastic.

2. When Harry Met Sally...
Why it made the list: This is the most quotable movie of all time, hands down. I will not be convinced otherwise. Every time I watch this movie I love it even more. Best romantic comedy of all time. 
1. Rain Man
Why it made the list: This is and probably always will be my favorite movie of all time. It is incredible and funny and heartbreaking. Dustin Hoffman deserves every award ever for this role. 














Other honorable mentions:
  • Little Miss Sunshine (funny as hell and so backwardly charming)
  • Back to the Future (the ultimate classic)
  • Sixteen Candles (also super quotable, and a childhood favorite)
  • The Edge of Seventeen (shockingly good. Plus Woody Harrelson)
  • The Village (still gets me. so underrated)
  • Super 8 (the first movie that I enjoyed being scared by)
  • La La Land (the soundtrack makes me cry some days)
  • Midnight in Paris (Europe, the 20s, flappers, famous writers)
  • Easy A (Emma Stone's masterpiece. no question)
  • Arrival (linguistics + aliens = somehow incredibly adsorbing)
  • 10 Things I Hate About You (Heath Ledger could take me out any day of the week)
  • X-Men series (Loved every single one, no matter how cheesy those originals were)
  • Beauty and the Beast (the original!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS