Book Review: The Swap

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Swap by Nancy Boyarsky
4/5

When Nicole Graves arranges a summer-long swap of her Los Angeles condo for a London couple’s house, she thinks it’s the perfect arrangement. She’s always dreamed of seeing the real London; she’s also hopeful the time away with her husband Brad will be good for their troubled marriage.

But things don’t turn out the way Nicole expects: The Londoners fail to arrive in L.A. and appear to be missing. Then people begin following Nicole and making threats, demanding information she doesn’t have. Soon, Nicole realizes she’s in serious trouble––but she can’t get Brad or the police to believe her.

When the confrontations turn deadly, Nicole must either solve the case or become the next victim.
 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm so glad I decided to pick this one up. It was sent to me by the author before it's release, but I wasn't able to get to it until after the release. Definitely worth it though, because this book was so fun and entertaining. It's a classic style of mystery, but with plenty of interesting characters and twists. I love that it takes place in London and Scotland (because I'll be there soon), and I loved some of the elements I didn't see coming.

Nicole was a character I'd definitely continue reading about in further books. I was impressed by her willingness to leave her bad marriage, and by her ability to kick ass and be fearless. Sometimes the fearlessness did come off as stupidity, because there's no way some of the things she does would be safe or smart, but I think that's a necessary element because a character who refused to do anything would be boring and wouldn't do anything for the story. 

I really enjoyed the pacing of this book, which helped me cruise right through it. I also appreciate that the ending doesn't go the super cliche way it could have gone. The ending also leaves it open for a sequel, which I think it set to be released soon. 

Some of the dialogue in this book was a bit forced sounding, and there were a few things I could see coming, but plenty of the mystery was a total surprise to me. I also thought a few elements didn't quite add up. Some were explained or sort of explained later, but I still didn't get why some things would have happened. 

Overall, this was a great mystery book. It's a quick read and a fun ride. Definitely recommended for people who like international mysteries.

Book links: Amazon, Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS