Why No One Should Judge the Things Others Are Passionate About

Monday, October 24, 2016

I strongly believe that every person should have multiple things that they love, and adore, and are fully passionate about. And when I say this I don't just mean family, friends, significant others, or pets. While the people in your life are incredibly important, I assume and hope that everyone already has some worthwhile, wonderful people in their lives. But what I often notice is a lack of passion in many lives. Lots of people go to work or school all day, come home, do homework or projects, watch their favorite shows and go to bed.

But in this type of a life, where is there passion for anything? This is existence, but not a truly fulfilling life. However, add a few hobbies, interests, or activities that you're passionate about, and suddenly your world is more positive and colorful. I will always be an advocate for people caring deeply about things besides checking their phones and watching their favorite shows (not that those aren't enjoyable activities).

The biggest thing that really bothers me are people who, rather than spend time doing the things they love, choose to condemn the passions of others. Unless someone's hobby is physically harmful to others, why should they feel bad about the things they love? If the activities your neighbor participates in (be it a sport, collecting something, cosplay, anything) aren't things you also enjoy, who cares? Find another point of similarity and connect with them instead of judging them. We are all people who deserve to be respected, and something that brings us joy should never also be criticized by the people in our lives.

I personally have a lot of hobbies and things that I love doing (though some get neglected in my busy schedule), but the one that I'm clearly most consistent with is reading. But even in the book-loving community, I sometimes sense that people judge certain genres and books more than others, thinking that their own preferences are much more sophisticated/intellectual/cool/unique/etc.



Personally, I read a whole lot of everything--popular fiction, less popular fiction, classics, creative nonfiction, fantasy, graphic novels, true crime, memoir, short stories, poetry, humor, young adult, travel, even children's books (seriously, I don't care if you're an adult--go back and reread your favorite childhood books; there are very few happier experiences)! So why should I feel embarrassed about reading one thing over another, as long as I'm enjoying what I read and gaining something from it (whether that be new knowledge, entertainment, or a break from the stress of school)?

The same goes for every hobby, intellectual interest, activity, or source of entertainment. Huge classic film buff? Awesome. Huge sappy rom-com buff? Equally awesome. Love what you love--just love the things you want! Don't let the popular or "cool" (whatever that means) opinion sway you.

And please, just remember never to diminish the joy that anything brings something else just because it's not something you love. You'd ask for the same in return. Keep on spreading love and joy instead!


1 comment:

  1. Cute blog - awesome post.

    I am stopping by from the Toot Your Horn Facebook post.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS