Book Review: Red Queen

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

5/5 stars

Ahhh, I finally understand the hype! I finished about two weeks ago, after getting sucked in and devouring it in a few days. There were times while I was reading this when I felt like I actually couldn't breathe (which, believe it or not, is a really good sign), particularly in the last fifty pages or so.

First of all, Victoria Aveyard: bravo on coming up with a super cool and unique premise. The basic idea is that in this society, people have either Red or Silver blood. Those with Silver blood are graced with special abilities or gifts, while Reds are forced to be servants, merchants and soldiers for these ruling Silvers. The book's protagonist is Mare, a Red girl who is working in the Silver Palace and accidentally discovers that she has an incredible ability that no Silver wants to admit could be possible.

The writing in this book is excellent and fast paced. The world building was timely and fluid. Aveyard establishes characters that are worth caring about, and makes them well-rounded and complex. Mare isn't my all-time favorite heroine, but I think she's perfect for this role and makes decisions that never seem overly unrealistic.

This is one of those books that never lets your opinion stay the same for long. You're constantly debating who you can trust, predicting (falsely) what might happen next, and wondering where it could possibly end.  I know some people felt this book was predictable, but I felt the total opposite. (Maybe I'm just a very naive reader, who knows!)

Either way, I'd definitely recommend that anyone try this, and enter it with an open mind. Let the story carry you and surprise you and captivate you. That's how I did it, and that's how I loved it.

Cover: 4.5/5 stars
Betrayal factor: 5/5 stars
How much I wanted to be inside of the story: 4.5/5 


[Also, I'm thinking about trying this new thing on book review posts where I do very random, very specific ratings at the bottom, dependent on the book. Just to spice it up. So hopefully that's a cool idea!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS