Book Review: Rat Queens

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Rat Queens by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Roc Upchurch

4.5/5 stars

This. was. so. awesome.  Seriously. Damn.

It felt like the perfect mix between a comic book and graphic novel, and the perfect mix between excellent art and brilliant story. I believe that technically it's a comic, and was originally released in smaller single issues. This was Volume 1, which compiles the first five single issues into one larger book.  This is the first in the series, and let's just say I'll be reading the other volumes as soon as I can get them from the library.

This comic follows four bad ass women who make up a monster-killing group-for-hire called the Rat Queens. They're violent, drunk, sexual, and brutally honest, all in the best way possible.


The art is colorful, graphic, and excellent. I was captivated by the illustrations, and found myself more and more mesmerized by it as the scenes changed and I moved through the events of the book.

And oh my word, this story. The idea is amazing, and it's executed perfectly. The writing flows right along with the art, doesn't get too dense at any point, and expertly maintains the sarcastic, hilarious, gruesome feel that the book is meant to get across.

My only complaint was that, this being the first volume, I would have liked more backstory on each of the characters, perhaps interspersed with the nearly non-stop action and humor.  Although I hear the second volume gets into character histories much more, so here's hoping that rumor is true.

I didn't expect to find myself reading anything like this, but I'd been hearing about it a lot, and decided to give it a try. I have no regrets.  This was excellent and I can't wait to get into the rest of the series.

Warning: I highly recommend this, but only if you don't mind violence, profanity, substance use, etc. in books. There's definitely some of all of that in here. (which, in my opinion, is part of what makes it feel so real and awesome)


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS