Book Review: Egghead

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Egghead by Bo Burnham

4/5 stars

This was a totally unique, quirky book. I've seen some of Bo Burnham's comedy and heard the book was good, so I thought I'd try it out. I definitely wasn't disappointed. While it wasn't the best book of all time, I highly enjoyed reading his humorous poems, and enjoyed the illustrations just as much. 

I only have a few criticisms. At times, the book felt a little rushed. While each poem and piece of writing was unique and noteworthy in its own way, a few felt like they weren't as well thought out as others. Most of the poems were very funny or thought-provoking, and only a few felt somewhat unnecessary.

Overall, I laughed a lot while reading this book. It's easy to read it in the span of an hour or two, or you could choose to read just a few poems a day and spread it out. This was going to be my strategy, until I started reading a few at a time and then ended up reading 40 pages at once every time. It does become kind of addicting to flip to the next page of this book, to see what random and bizarre topic Bo is about to tackle, and what illustration will accompany it.

The drawings were both beautiful and hilarious, random and purposeful. I adored the illustration, and don't think I would have enjoyed the book quite as much without it. It enhanced the hilarity and strangeness of the writing in the best way possible.

It was clear in this book that the author wanted it to seem like very little work had gone in, when in fact it was clear that a ton of thought, humor and intelligence was involved in writing these poems. Some of the topics he decided to use are totally unique, relatable, and yet completely unexpected. This book felt like a strangely fascinating work of genius, and I have very few complaints. Definitely recommended.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS