Underhyped Books

Monday, April 25, 2016

It's safe to say that I've read a lot of books in my lifetime. Some I pick up because I've heard millions of amazing things about them. Others I choose on instinct because the title, cover or description intrigues me. Others come recommended by family or friends, whose opinions I tend to value quite highly.

In the book community, some books get a lot more hype than others. More often than not, books live up to their hype, though at times they do fall flat (more to come on that in another post). What interests me more, however, are the books that I love, that I feel deserved more hype than they got.

These are a few prime examples:


1. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (and its sequels)

I love these books so much, yet I rarely hear anyone talking about them! And what a crime that is! Poison Study in particular I absolutely loved, and have reread at least once or twice. The book follows Yelena, who is essentially on death row, and is given the choice to become the Commander's new food taster, checking for poisons. It takes place in an amazing made up world, and it's super-full of magic and mysteries and romance, and it's just. so. good.


2. Graceling by Kristin Cashore (and its companions)

If you've never heard of Graceling, you are missing out in a major way. This is one of my top five all time favorite books. And that's a huge deal, considering how many amazing books I've read. The book is about Katsa, a girl with a gift for killing people, who meets a prince (and then so much happens to them from there)! It's crazy good.
This series is somewhat unique in structure. There is a companion to Graceling called Fire (also amazing) that takes place in the same world, but focuses on different characters, as well as Bitterblue, which takes place many years after the events of Graceling.


3. The Writing Class by Jincy Willet

I never hear anything about this book, but I thought it was a great book, and I flew through it. Its a funny, yet gripping read that surprised me in plenty of ways by the end. It features a random group of adult writing students in the class of an aging, brutally honest teacher named Amy. The fascinating part of this book doesn't really begin until the middle, but I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through. One of the students in the class is murdered, and someone is writing creepy anonymous messages, and the entire class decides to uncover who's behind it, all while realizing that it's someone sitting in the same room as them. This was a unique and surprisingly thrilling book that more people should be reading!




4. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

As I've said before, I love this book. It's one of my all-time favorites, and it's insanely suspenseful. The reason I consider this underhyped is because all anyone ever talks about is Gone Girl, when this amazing book was also written by Gillian Flynn! I think it deserves a lot more attention. I also enjoyed her book Sharp Objects, and I have actually yet to read Gone Girl, though I doubt it can outshine Dark Places for me.


5. The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau

Have you heard of this book? No? Well, I have no idea why not!!
I adored this book. It's the first in a series, though this book is definitely a bit better than the sequels,though they're worth reading as well. This book takes place in a dystopian society where people have to undergo highly selective and rigorous testing in order to attend college, make a living and hopefully change the world. The main character is Cia, who is thrilled to be a part of "The Testing", until she realizes that it's not as great as it's always seemed. Highly recommended.






6. Origin by Jessica Khoury

Aghhh, I was so impressed by this book, and yet I never hear anyone talking about it! Why?? There is so much hype missing here. Pia is the main character, a girl created by scientists in a rainforest to be absolutely perfect. She never breaks rules, and is basically superhuman and immortal. But as soon as she leaves the compound she's always lived in and meets a normal boy who lives nearby, she realizes a lot of secrets have been kept from her. And it's so intense, guys! I want to reread it now, oh goodness.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS