Two Mini Book Reviews! (Very Good Lives and Summer at Castle Stone)

Monday, April 11, 2016


Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling

4/5 stars

Technically, I don't know how to classify this book...it is an amazing speech given by J.K. Rowling to a graduating class at Harvard. It's extremely short, but gorgeously written and illustrated.

First, let me start by saying that Good Lord I wish J.K. Rowling was the keynote speaker at my graduation. Honestly, how do I get that to happen?!

But really, this book is an excellent and extremely quick read. In the matter of 100 pages or less (and I would imagine a speech of average length) Rowling is humorous, inspiring and honest. In this case, the illustrations were just as important as the words for my overall enjoyment of this book. It is gorgeously illustrated,with various colors, styles, and beautiful typography.

It was like a little treat. I read it in the course of a half an hour, thought about things, ogled at the prettiness and then set it aside to be reread (I would assume) many times over the course of my life.

Rock on, Ms. Rowling. You're a champ as always.


Summer at Castle Stone by Lynn Marie Hulsman

3.5/5 stars


Honestly, it's clear off the bat that this isn't some deep and literary brooding classic novel. For its genre and my expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.  As long as you're expecting a fun chick lit read and not the next great American novel when picking this up, I don't see how you could be too disappointed.

There were some spelling/grammar mistakes sprinkled throughout and plenty of cliches thrown in. But a hot mess/bad ass writer protagonist who travels to an Irish castle and finds love with the aloof chef? I mean, I'm only human. This was an adorable, funny book that I'm glad I took the time to read. Also I want Shayla's writing-and-traveling-to-Ireland life to be mine right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS