My Top 6 Books of 2015

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Yes, I know 2015 has been over for four months! However, I'd like to start doing more posts about books and reading in general, rather than just straight book reviews. And since I read so so much, I have a lot of thoughts and recommendations and so much to share!

2015, looking back now, was a lame reading year for me. As a super busy college student I stopped making time to read as much as I'd like to, and half the books I read were also for classes! How dismal. However, there were six books in particular that I really loved, and I'd highly recommend.

So, in a very random order, here are some of my favorite books of 2015:

1. November 9 by Colleen Hoover


First of all, let it be known that I adore Colleen Hoover. I have read a solid majority of her books already and the rest are high on my list of books to read soon. November 9 is without a doubt one of my top three books written by her. It follows two people who meet one year (on Nov. 9!) and have an instant connection. They decide, however, to forgo all communication and meet up once every year for five years, while one of them writes a book about the experience. It is heartbreaking and romantic and so so amazing. Hmmm...all of the sudden I'm in the mood for a reread...

2. Bird Box by Josh Malerman

Woah. Even thinking about this book again makes me feel overcome with suspense. This is one of the most fascinating, mysterious, dark books I've ever read, and I loved it. The book follows a mysterious phenomenon happening to Earth. For seemingly no reason, people seem to see something that drives them mad and causes them to do terrible harm to themselves and others. No one knows what these people are seeing, because once you do, your fate is basically sealed. The few survivors left are hidden up in houses, avoiding ever looking outside. This book focuses on a woman named Malorie whose two children are born right after these horrific events begin. They have to go out, blindfolded and seek a new place to live. It is so intense. It will freak you out in the best way possible.

3. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This is a very big shift from the previous book, yet somehow I loved them both equally, but in very different ways! This has always been one of my favorite movies, so I was glad to finally be given a push to read this when it was assigned for a class. This book is classic and so lovely. Lizzie Bennet is the best protagonist ever. And I also found that I enjoyed the book possibly even more because I read it for class and had to dig really deep into the period and the characters and the setting. This book has an excellent lineup of amusing, flawed, independent, unique characters and is totally worth reading.


4. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

This is a really fascinating mystery/suspense book that features a woman named Rachel who is a little bit unhinged and whose life is not at it's best. She rides the train daily and becomes fascinated by a couple whose home she passes by, believing that they are a perfect couple, and even making up names and conversations for them in her head. She then notices one small thing one day, and becomes convinced that something bad has happened to the woman in the house. It only gets crazier from there as she decides to uncover the mystery of what's gone on in this couple's life. This book picks up fast and I personally thought a lot of it was hugely surprising and unpredictable.


5. I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

This book has a lot of mixed reviews, but I was among the people who loved it. This is a collection of essays about a young woman's life and antics. I really enjoyed her style of writing and the stories were funny and enjoyable to read. There's no great lesson here, and it's not some crazy thriller. But I love story collections and essay collections and this is one of my personal favorites. The stories vary from work drama to hilarious apartment mishaps to crazy encounters, all written in her charming style.




6. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Not only is this one of my favorite books of the year, but it's on my all-times favorites list as well. I don't know why exactly I loved this book so much, though I can think of a few possible factors. I love a book that won't get out of my head after I read it. This book did that in such an extreme way. I couldn't breathe when I finished it. I also loved that it changed point of view as well as time, jumping from past to present until the suspense was so intense that I couldn't stop reading it. Honestly, its so crazy, I did not see the twists coming, and I was captivated by the writing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS