Book Review: A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Bad Beginning

Thursday, April 28, 2016

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning 
by Lemony Snicket

4/5 stars

Yes, this is a book designed for children. And yes, I read it when I was a child and again as an adult! Last weekend, I was shopping around at book sales and found a super-cheap copy of this book, which I loved as a kid, but haven't read in years, Lately, I'd been thinking about rereading some childhood favorites, and here was the opportunity! I've decided now to slowly but surely reread this entire series, and relive a little part of childhood.

The first time I read these books, I loved them. However, a few of them (I believe the later ones in particular) I read too fast and too young, and I think some of it went straight over my head, or I forgot a lot of what happened. As of now, I remember a general gist of the series and some of the books, but all in all, I'm going into each book essentially blind to what happens within.

I reread this book in a matter of an hour so--the awesome part about reading middle grade books! This was never my favorite book in the series (I think they get more complex and mature as they go on), however, I still truly enjoyed reading it, even as an adult.

The frequent addition of the narrator "returning" to define a word got a little old for me as an adult, though I think its a beneficial idea for child readers and sometimes they were amusing as well. I also felt, unlike some of the later books in this series, this book was very short and could have had more action and character development in it. Although, to be fair, this is a middle grade book, rather than YA or adult!

I love the concept of these books, the continuous characters, as well as the addition of new characters, as well as these siblings being so selfless for each other, so intelligent, and so resourceful.

I definitely enjoyed this reread and can't wait to make my way back through the series!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS