Book Review: Mother, Can You Not?

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Mother, Can You Not? by Kate Siegel

4.5/5 stars


Over the past few days, I had to resist reading this book in public places because I discovered within the first few pages that it had a strong tendency to make me start laughing, and I tend to avoid looking like a giggling lunatic in class or on the train. However, I'll be honest, this was a difficult book to set down, and I finished it in just a couple of days.

I have almost zero complaints about this book. In fact, I think the only criticism I have is that I WANTED MORE! Honestly, when the book ended, I set it down, and I felt instantly sad that I could never read it for the first time again. I would love to read endless stories about this insane, hilarious, amazing woman.

For those who haven't heard of it, Mother, Can You Not? is a collection of true stories written by Kate Siegel, who runs the extremely popular Instagram, @crazyjewishmom (which you should definitely check out!). Her mother, Kim Friedman, is the star of both the Instagram account and the new book. She is, as the title describes, a crazy Jewish mother, who also happens to send her twentysomething daughter hundreds of hilarious text messages daily. The Instagram account features daily screenshots of these zany texts, and the book takes the best of those screenshots, and then adds true stories of Kate's life with her mother tagging along every step of the way. The book is filled with pictures, screenshots straight from @crazyjewishmom, and stories that had me gasping in shock and dying of laughter the whole way through.

This is a quick read. It's an adorable, hilarious treat. I wish six follow-ups to this book existed, and that I had them in my possession immediately.

Kate Siegel's writing is quirky and honest and unashamed (well, maybe a little ashamed). She tells her stories with all the confidence that her mother has in every chapter of the book. I need more Kim Friedman in my life and so do you.

I recommend this so highly. Trust me on this one.

{I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.} Also check out these links for more information: http://kateesiegel.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Can-You-Kate-Siegel/dp/1101907045/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461117364&sr=8-1&keywords=mother+can+you+not
http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/537554/mother-can-you-not-by-kate-siegel/




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS