Book Review 5: Never Never (Parts 1 and 2)

Monday, April 11, 2016

Never Never (Part 1 and 2) by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher 

Both 4/5 stars 

These were the first two parts of the three part collection by these two authors. They follow two high school students, Charlie and Silas, who one day suddenly come to with no recollection of who they are or anything they've done. They have no idea why this is happening and eventually discover enough information to realize that they have a long history with each other and that this isn't the first time they've forgotten everything. As you can imagine, things get crazier from there. I haven't read the third part yet, but I plan to soon!

I read both of these in the past couple of months on my Kindle and just finished Part 2 this week. I found both Part 1 and 2 a bit slow to get into, but by the end I was much more attached and the pacing was much faster. There is a natural suspense to these books, simply because of the nature of the plot, but the writing by these two fabulous authors only amps up the suspense.

These were the type of books that make you feel anxious and stressed, because at many points of the story (particularly in Part 2) you know important information that the characters don't. I constantly wanted to yell advice and spoilers at the characters themselves, perhaps in a desperate attempt to help them out. (This did not prove to be successful) This type of reading anxiety is definitely not a bad thing--it means I was attached and gripped in the suspense of the story. However, I did feel from time to time that the type and amount of stress I was feeling was excessive. This may be my personality type and reading style (on second thought, that's definitely what it is) but I felt overly panicked from time to time while reading these, just because I knew so much more than the characters and they took forever to figure things out!

All in all, these are excellent novellas (is that what they are? I don't know how to classify these...) and definitely worth a read for fans of suspense, mystery, romance and drama. Not my favorite of Colleen Hoover's books, but definitely still an excellent story.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS