Book Review 3: An Age of License

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

An Age of License: A Travelogue by Lucy Knisley

4/5 stars 

I am a book lover of quite varied tastes.  I don't gravitate towards just one genre and in fact often read 5-10 books at once simply because I want a variety of options available to me each day when I find time to read.  One genre that I often read, but which I find is less popular among my friends or peers, is the graphic novel.  While I've never been a huge comic book person, I do have a great fondness for well done graphic novels that combine beautiful visuals with a moving or humorous story.  Persepolis, The Good Neighbors, The Plain Janes, Fun Home, and Stitches are all among the graphic novels that I read and loved in 2015 alone.

Previously I read two of Lucy Knisley's other graphic novels, Relish and Displacement, both of which were charming and very enjoyable.  This third one, An Age of License, had been at the top of my TBR pile for a while, so I finally picked it up at the library and read it in a matter of hours.

All of Knisley's books are the type you want to read in the span of one sunny afternoon, preferably in some tropical location, near a pool (though, maybe that's just me).  Her drawings are colorful and sweet, and she tells stories of her own life and travels.

My one complaint is that these graphic novels generally lack a lot of depth.  They are witty and intelligent and gorgeously illustrated, but in their nature, her travelogues and essays are meant to be more fun and entertaining than literary and deep.  In the case of An Age of License, when she explains the meaning of the title, an overarching theme and depth is added, which was definitely nice to see.  However, I love Lucy Knisley first and foremost because her art is great, and she tells stories about food and traveling, two things I love.

If you're curious, I'd rate Relish a 4.5/5 and Displacement a 3.5/5





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS