Book Review 1: Me Before You

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

5/5 stars

**Hardcore spoiler alert**

I finished this book late last night and I'm still not sure if I'm emotionally prepared to talk about it. The last 40 pages or so absolutely tore me apart.  In the span of the three days I spent reading this book, I became so attached to the characters and invested  in their well being that, by the end, I couldn't breathe.  I'm still not sure if I agree with the chosen ending, but I do recognize that it was somewhat necessary.

This was the heartbreaking, but realistic truth and I do see why Moyes chose this path for her characters.  While I would have been satisfied with Lou and Will living happily ever after, that certainly wouldn't have been at all realistic in the confines of the scenario created by the novel.  Certainly, no matter what, had Will survived past the end of the novel, some painful and probably long illness would certainly have taken him too soon anyways.  This is why I can understand Jojo Moyes's reasoning behind breaking my heart last night. Because at least Will was able to choose his own ending, and make sure that the people he cared about most were there for it.

Me Before You taught me more about an experience completely foreign to me, it made me laugh, and of course also made me cry. I have very few complaints.  My only real wish is that Will told Louisa in person, just once, how much he loved her.  I realize it reflected on his personality that he thought telling her would only hurt her more. But still, I'm selfish.  I just wanted to hear those words, even though it was obvious how he felt in everything else he said and did.

I could have read 200 more pages of this story, but I believe there was just enough in Me Before You to make it poignant, beautiful, charming and moving. To me, this was one of those unforgettable sort of books that you think about constantly and return to time and time again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS