A List of My Favorite Books.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

This list is somewhat random and certainly not comprehensive.  I assure you, many are missing.  However, all of these books have affected me in some way and come to mind when asked about my favorite books.  In no particular order, here are some of the many that have always stood out to me.
 
1.  Graceling by Kristin Cashore
This book is exciting and unique and interesting and I never wanted it to end.  Ever.

 
2.  Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
I’ve read this book three times to date (and just met the author!!).  I will admit, I am not immune to a good romance.  But the concept in this book is so much better than normal love stories.  It is simple, beautiful and so funny.  At least in my opinion.

 
3.  The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
It’s a classic for a reason.  One of the times where I read a “classic” book and was like, “ohhhh, I totally understand why”.

 
4.  Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster
I have also read this one many times.  I am sad that so few people have heard of or read this book.  It has such a charming quality to it.  It’s the book I read when I want to just be cozy somewhere in a nice chair and smile for a couple hours.

 
5.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
THIS BOOK IS SO MOVING.  I don’t cry a lot when I’m reading, but wow did I cry when I read this.  So many emotions.  Such stunning writing.

 
6. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Ohmygod, if you like suspense or mystery or feeling extremely alive, don’t read Gone Girl.  Read this instead (no offense to Gone Girl but this is better).  It is so intense.  This is not a joke.  Just trust me.  Please.

 
7. Origin by Jessica Khoury
This is a less well known, but remarkably interesting young adult novel about the rainforest and human experimentation and immortality and love.  It’s so excellent.

 
8. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns) by Mindy Kaling
Mindy is perfect.  Her book is almost as perfect.

 
9. Slammed by Colleen Hoover
Do not be fooled by the boring cover! (Which I believe does this book no justice)  It is an amazing story.

 
10. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
This book is so stunning and enchanting and everything else that goes along with those adjectives. It will entrance you.

 
11. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Yes, I am a believer in this book.  How can you not be?  I mean, 20′s parties and drama and deep existential musings?  That’s good literature.

 
12. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
So. Many. Emotions.  There’s a reason everyone talks about this book.

 
13. The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
This was a book my mom read to us as kids.  I feel like it would still be amazing if I read it again now.  That means a lot. 

 
14. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
So much happens in this book. It deserves to be read by everyone.  Scratch that.  Everyone deserves to have this book in their life.  Do yourself a favor and read the hell out of it.

 
That seems like a solid list for now.  I’ll
probablydefinitely add more.  Feel free to comment with your favorites and why they’re 20x better than mine.  Nothing like a good book nerd debate.  (;

4 comments:

  1. My favorite is The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. She can describe any object and give it immense meaning. She describes buildings with a beauty of a setting sun over a grassy Midwest prairie with various flora. I never knew I could feel this way about buildings... Anyway this feeling she gives the reader is why The Fountainhead is my favorite book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo thanks for telling me. I love a new suggestion. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I agree with many of these!! There are a few here that I still need to read, though (Night Circus, Great Gatsby, Dark Places). Love that you included The Penderwicks! Great memories of that one. And you make me want to read I Am the Messenger again. Such an under-appreciated gem!

    You listed many of my favorites as well, but here are a few others that I absolutely love: The Poisonwood Bible, I Know This Much is True, Memoirs of a Geisha, City of Thieves, The Red Tent, Every Day, Unbroken, Cutting for Stone, When You Reach Me and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane...but I could go on and on and on.... You come by it naturally! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS